Monday, August 25, 2014

**Beyond the Books ~ #2 ~ Back to School Blues**


Welcome to my second Beyond the Books post. This post was inspired by Lexxie @Unconventional BookviewsUp Close and (Un)conventional, who was inspired by Cuddlebuggery. It's meant to be a way for y'all to get to know me better on a personal level - Beyond the Books. ;)

***
They Grow Up Too Fast

As y'all probably know by now, I'm a mom. :) I have THREE beautiful, talented, incredible children. (I might be a little biased ;) The last 2 weeks have been a little hard for me. First of all, my oldest started driving. Well, she's been driving for over a year, but she started driving without me in the car. The first morning she took off for band camp, with her younger sister in the front seat...well, I'm not gonna lie. I cried. It made me all the more aware that my kids are growing up. And they won't be with me for much longer. As if that wasn't enough to make me blue...Jax and I have made it a tradition to go on daily hikes while his sisters are in band camp the week before school starts. On our first hike of the week, I had the startling realization that this was our last summer to do our hikes. Next year, he'll be joining his sisters at band camp. And then this week, they started school, and I was left thinking "Where did the summer go?!?" I wasn't ready for them to go back to school. We didn't get to do all the fun things I'd planned. 

The lesson here? Enjoy every single minute! They grow up so quickly and they'll be gone in the blink of an eye.

12 comments:

  1. Awww... it is hard knowing that they are all growing up! Mine are little 9, 6 & 4, but every day they surprise me and I think that the time is flying! Before I know it, Jordan will be driving her brothers around!!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it will absolutely be here before you know it, Naomi. And way before you're ready. :) Just enjoy them...even when they're making you want to pull your hair out! ;)

      Delete
  2. They do grow up so fast... its hard to slow down sometimes and enjoy the moments of each age

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like just yesterday they were toddling around. I'm enjoying every day!

      Delete
  3. Good advice! I keep hearing that, so I'm guessing it must be true. I'm gonna do my best to enjoy each moment:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Julie. Don't rush your little one to grow up! :)

      Delete
  4. It's ok, you're supposed to be biased. One of my favorite things to say is that I have the coolest son ever, but don't we all? I feel for you during this time so much. It's so hard watching that time slip through your fingers. Like you said though, you just have to soak up every single moment you possibly can. I wish all your babies luck! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yeah, we moms are generally excused for our bias towards our kids, huh? :) I'm really trying to enjoy all my time with them! :) Enjoy your cool boy, too!

      Delete
  5. Aw, Brandee... You made me get ready-eyed. My kids are only 6 and almost 9, but I was looking at them today, telling myself to absorb every moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you try, Andrea. It's over in the blink of an eye! :)

      Delete
  6. I can relate to you so much! I'm wondering where the summer went, too. I don't even know what happened to August - it's like this month never happened because we ended up being so busy. There were a few more things I wanted to do before school started that we didn't get to do. I'm going to try for the weekends.

    It sounds like you're enjoying every moment, and it is sad when they grow up. I wrote on Facebook that I'm happy for my daughter to be starting a new chapter of her life in school but am sad for myself. I'm nervous for when the day comes and she starts driving. I remember my dad was so nervous the first time I took my sister for a drive (our mom had passed away before then). He was so scared of losing us, too, that I very rarely was allowed to drive my sister anywhere. The older I get, the more I can relate to him as a parent because I'm going through what he must have gone through with the worrying and not wanting us to grow up.

    I have two kids - Janie's 11 and Jack is 4. Janie just started junior high, and Jack will be starting kindergarten next year. I think Janie going to junior high that first day was almost more emotional than her first day of kindergarten. I think I'll probably cry a ton when Jack goes to kindergarten next year. I didn't become a full-time parent until Janie was 6, but I've been one from the time I was pregnant with Jack. It's already hard enough when she leaves to go to school. I can't imagine an empty house during the days!

    Maybe we should start a support group? I keep saying I'm going to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying, Jennifer. They all have their moments...that make me want to pull my hair out and I don't relish those. *ha* But college tours, driving, and back to school...yeah, it just hit me hard that their time living with me is short. I don't know what I'll do when they're all gone. And my son, who's the youngest, skipped a few grades, so he graduates the same time as my middle daughter. *sigh* And I remember how hard it was when he started school. I got a job at the bookstore just to have something to fill my time.*haha*

      Well, we'll support each other, right?!? :)

      Delete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??