Friday, February 27, 2015

#COYER & #ShelfLove Review ~ The Governess Affair ~ Courtney Milan

The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5)The Governess Affair
Brothers Sinister #0.5
Release Date: April 21, 2012
Genre: Historical Romance
Source: Purchased on B&N
Rating: 4 Bookworms
Goodreads

Synopsis
She will not give up...

Three months ago, governess Serena Barton was let go from her position. Unable to find new work, she's demanding compensation from the man who got her sacked: a petty, selfish, swinish duke. But it's not the duke she fears. It's is merciless man of business--the man known as the Wolf of Clermont. The formidable former pugilist has a black reputation for handling all the duke's dirty business, and when the duke turns her case over to him, she doesn't stand a chance. But she can't stop trying--not with her entire future at stake.

He cannot give in...

Hugo Marshall is a man of ruthless ambition--a characteristic that has served him well, elevating the coal miner's son to the right hand man of a duke. When his employer orders him to get rid of the pestering governess by fair means or foul, it's just another day at the office. Unfortunately, fair means don't work on Serena, and as he comes to know her, he discovers that he can't bear to use foul ones. But everything he has worked for depends upon seeing her gone. He'll have to choose between the life that he needs, and the woman he is coming to love...




I read this book as part of Lexxie's COYER Mini-Challenge 3 Historical Romances in 3 Weeks. I'd had it on my shelf since March, 2013.


***

Ah, I believe I have developed a tendre for Mr. Marshall. What a sweet, tender man, in the body of a cunning and ruthless man. And Serena - how could you not pull for this plucky young woman? A woman determined not to let circumstances, those beyond her control, dictate her future.

Serena and Hugo meet under duress. Serena has found herself in a predicament compliments of the Duke of Clermont. She demands he make amends for a transgression. However, the Duke doesn't want to concede, as his Duchess is already out-of-sorts over his behavior. Hugo works for the Duke--he solves his problems--by any means necessary. In this case, he doesn't wish to resort to his usual ruthless ways. So he sets about getting rid of Serena in a more pedestrian manner. The problem for Hugo is, in Serena he's met his match.

This story was delightful. Although only ~100 pages, Ms. Milan did an excellent job in setting up the world and developing her characters. The banter between Hugo and Serena was so playful. I did a lot of cheering and sighing. This was my first read from Ms. Milan and I enjoyed the introduction. I'm eager to see if all her stories are as captivating as this one.


~~Favorite Quotes~~
"Mr. Marshall, she wrote, I am delighted that you are delighted that I am delighted with my new home. Can I predict the substance of your next missive? That you are delighted that I am delighted that you are delighted, et cetera. I have saved up both a great deal of postage and awkward conversation. If we keep this up, we shall quickly run through our ink." -Serena


***


"You are too kind."
"No, I'm not," he contradicted. "I'm deliberately confusing you out of a desire to assuage my own meager excuse for a conscience. To add to my sins, defiance of all society's rules, I wish to become better acquainted with you. Don't imaging there's anything akin to kindness behind my selfish behavior." -Serena & Hugo




7 comments:

  1. Hehe!! I love playful banter!! Hugo and Serena seem like my kind of peeps!! Great little read by the sounds of it!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good read. I don't read that many historical romances, but this sounds like one I would like. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a fun read - and stayed true to history as well. This is another one I'd had on my nook forever. Sooo glad I finally read it. And I just found that I already have the next in the series as well. Score!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I think this would be a good one for someone who doesn't usually read HR, Lorna. It's an easy read, fun, and historically accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, how come I haven't read any of Millan's books yet, Brandee? Especially a short but well-done story like The Governess Affair seems to be. I'm thinking I need a little Mr. Marshal in my life right now ;)
    Only 10 more weeks, my dear, can you believe it?
    I had a great time in Norway, my sister wasn't really all that surprised, though... we tend to 'surprise' each other on important occasions ;) My trip back home was... interesting. I had a stop-over in Copenhagen, and when I arrived there, the flight for Geneva had been cancelled. They put me on a flight to Zurich, though, and then from there to Geneva, but I arrived at home much later than planned on Sunday night. And my luggage is still nowhere to be found, apparently. I hope it will show up soon, because I have some Norwegian goodies in there, and the food will go bad if I can't freeze it soon.
    I'm glad you had a great weekend, too. I hope nobody is sick anymore, and that you're having a fantastic week. *BIG HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually can't believe you haven't read Milan, Lexxie. I really enjoyed this one and I think you will too. I'm excited to read more from her. And I happen to already have a few. ;)


    I'm glad you had a great time in Norway. I am sorry to hear about your flight issues though. Was it due to weather? And have your bags arrived yet??? It'd be awful to lose those Norwegian goodies. :(


    Sky is still home - she has mono. (did I already tell you this?) Anyway, it's going to be awhile before she's completely recovered. I am enjoying hanging out with her though. :) **BIG HUGS**

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh poor Sky! I hope she'll feel better very soon, Brandee.
    The flight problems was due to strike by cabin personnel, and my bag arrived on Wednesday. I think the goodies are still good...
    *BIG HUGS*

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??