Monday, August 17, 2015

#COYER Review ~ Spin ~ CD Reiss

Spin (Songs of Corruption, #1)Spin by CD Reiss
Songs of Corruption #1
Release Date: March 10, 2014
Genre: Adult, Dark Romance, Contemporary Romance
Source: Purchased on Kindle
Rating: 5 Bookworms
Goodreads

Synopsis
***You do NOT need to read Songs of Submission to read Spin***

Mafia capo, Antonio Spinelli blew through my orderly life like a cyclone.

Gorgeous and passionate, with a breathtaking brutality, he put me under his spell the moment he touched me, drawing me into his underworld of risk, violence and betrayal.

And I found, just as this sophisticated savage didn't trust me, I didn't trust myself. Something happened to me. Some alchemy from the heat between us.

I discovered I was a savage, too.




I like a book that grabs me by the throat and throws me into the deep waters to struggle in the waves of the characters' story. Reiss does just that in Spin. In fact, she threw me into the deep, with waves crashing and sharks circling. In other words, the story was a roller coaster of emotions - thrilling and terrifying, where I watched as Theresa and Antonio found out exactly what they were made of.

Theresa, recently publicly humiliated by the betrayal of her now ex-fiance, is coping by continuing her work while trying to figure out how to deal with loving him still. She's very good at compartmentalizing. She's a girl who's always prepared. An evening out with her sister leads to a chance encounter with Antonio Spinelli. With one look, and a few words, she was a goner.
"His words had fingers, and as he spoke, they drifted down my body, fondling me and arousing me."
Antonio makes her feel things she's never felt before. This leads to an affair and Theresa learning far more about the mafia and herself than she'd ever anticipated.

Antonio sees Theresa and knows he wants her. Problem is, she's not a part of the life and therefore not privy to their ways. In many ways, Antonio prefers this. It may even be a part of the attraction. But as he and Theresa get more deeply involved, important choices must be made - life-altering choices.

Spin is dark - darker than Reiss' Songs of Submission, in my opinion. It's violent and yet sexy. Reiss always amazes me with her ability to take a raw, gritty scene and paint it in a way to make it sexy and beautiful. With Theresa and Antonio, this is quite a feat as the subjects dealt with their story are not always pretty.

After ruminating on this for awhile, I've decided that at its heart, this is a journey for both Theresa and Antonio. I think neither really know what's in their hearts. But with each other, they're learning.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??