Saturday, June 24, 2017

My TBR List Review ~ June ~ World After ~ Susan Ee

MyTBRList

My To-Be Read List is a meme hosted by Michelle @Because Reading


World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)World After by Susan Ee
Penryn & the End of Days #2
Release Date: November 19, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Dystopia, Paranormal Romance
Source: Purchased paperback
Rating: 4.5 Bookworms
Challenges: #MyTBRList, #ShelfLove, #TravelingtotheTerminus
Goodreads

Synopsis
In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.

When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?


Confession: I wouldn't have thought I'd have enjoyed this as much as I did knowing Raffe wasn't as big a presence. But there you have it.... :D

For me, World After was fantastic! It was fast-paced, gritty, and enthralling. I'm overly anxious to see how it all ends so it's a good thing book 3 is already on my shelf.

What Worked

  • The anticipation. Ee kept me glued to the pages and on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next.
  • The thought-provoking actions of both humans and angels. Seeing how the humans reacted to and in situations, their fear of the unknown and of the "different". It was at times gut-wrenching. Would I react differently? Hmm... And learning more about the "why" behind all that's going on - the angels' appearance on Earth and the destruction they've wrought - was rather chilling. We see angels as benevolent beings and these angels are far from that description.
  • The detail. Ee deftly crafted this "world after" with San Francisco as its focal point. Her description of the landscape, the buildings, the people left following the attack is gritty, brutal, and terrifying. She doesn't shy away from the violence wrought by either side.

What Could Have Worked Better
  • More Raffe *sigh*

Okay, okay so there's not really much of anything I'd change. I think the actions of the characters is so realistic and I find it fascination to see how far both side - human and angel - are willing to go for what they want...what they're willing to sacrifice - be it to save themselves or those they love. Like I said, I'm overly anxious to see this to the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??