Monday, July 31, 2017

My TBR List Review + Bonus Review ~ Just One Lie & Just Once More by Kyra Davis

MyTBRList

My To-Be Read List is a meme hosted by Michelle @Because Reading.

I apologize for not having my review up on Saturday, y'all, but my travel schedule prevented me from being able to get the post done. 




***

Just Once More (Just One Night, #1.5)
Just Once More by Kyra Davis
Just One Night #1.5
Release Date: June 22, 2015
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance
Source: Purchased on Nook
Rating: 4 Bookworms
Challenges: #ShelfLove, #TravelingtotheTerminus
Goodreads

Synopsis
Robert Dade is a man who konws what he wants and never hesitates to go after it. Money, power, and - at long last - the woman he loves, Kasie Fitzgerald, are now his. But after so many years of living by his own rules will he really make the compromises necessary to keep Kasie by his side? And when a man even richer and more ruthless than he is takes an interest in Kasie, will Dade be able to protect her? Or will his controlling nature drive her toward the very danger he seeks to shield her from?



I adore this series and I thoroughly enjoyed getting this glimpse inside Robert's head. The way Davis tied together Robert's thoughts about how parents impact how children see themselves with Robert's vulnerabilities where Kasie is concerned as well as how Kasie has always lived her life...until Robert came along...was brilliant. I liked the thread Davis wove in that posed a threat to Robert and Kasie's happily-ever-after and I really liked the twist thrown in!

This was more of a short story but it was compelling, well-written, and the perfect segue into the next in the series, Just One Lie




Just One Lie (Just One Night, #2)
Just One Lie by Kyra Davis
Just One Night #2
Release Date: July 28, 2015
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance
Source: Purchased paperback
Rating: 4.5 Bookworms
Challenges: #COYER, #MyTBRList, #ShelfLove, #TravelingtotheTerminus
Goodreads


Synopsis
In the instant international sensation Just One Night, sensible Kasie Fitzgerald unleashed her passions--and found herself--through an explosive affair. In Just One Lie, we meet Kasie's wild and tortured sister, whose impulsivity and lack of self-control has set off a chain of events that changes her family forever.

Melody Fitzgerald is the opposite of the "perfect" daughter. The lead singer of an indie rock band, she is impulsive and creative, with a rebellious streak that both defines her and becomes her greatest enemy. Her lover, the enticing and unpredictable Ash, shares her free spirit and penchant for trouble. On the face of it, he seems to be her perfect match.

So why is she so drawn to her soft spoken, reliable drummer, Brad Witmer? How can a man who wears polo shirts and reads the financial section of the paper be of any interest to her at all? And why on earth does someone like that appear to be so captivated by her?

Before she knows it, Melody finds herself on a path of self-discovery, passion, and affairs of the heart. But will a dark secret from her past derail it all? Or will its exposure be the very thing that unburdens her heart and allows her to seek a future with the one man who loves her completely?




After reading Just Once More back in May, I was eager to read Just One Lie so I was more the thrilled when it won the vote. ;) Getting Kasie's sister's story - the sister behind so much that shaped Kasie's life - well, I was anxious to get to know Melody. And Melody's story - Mercy, as she's come to be known - I don't know but I think I found it even more compelling than Kasie's. That either of the Fitzgerald girls became productive human beings after growing up with the parents they were given...it's miraculous and proves the power of inner spirit and a strong love.

It's been awhile since I read Just One Night but I think one thing I thoroughly delighted in with Just One Lie was getting to know Brad, the hero, so well. I liked how he looked at life, how he was so much more than he seemed - and he seemed like quite a lot - and I loved how he treated Mercy. He's an intelligent guy, talented, and a giving, loving man. He has his flaws but would give the shirt off his back to a damsel in distress - Mercy being on the top of that list. I also loved that even if it took time to get there, he was self-aware enough and smart enough to see the wisdom in Mercy's advice as well as to give her what she needed despite the hurt it caused him.

Mercy was one messed up young woman - but one that, like Brad said, was also one of the most together women as well. She knew her strengths, her flaws, and her limitations. She was self-aware enough to think through things and make tough decisions - ones that hurt her terribly. Oh, she made her share of mistakes and bad decisions but she learned from them and carried on. She was incredibly strong and resilient. I mean, to endure what she did at the hands of her parents - her dad specifically - yeah. I couldn't help but admire her. Her spirit refused to be crushed.

The way Davis structured the story - the expanse of time, how the details were revealed and revelations made - made for a riveting story. If I hadn't been on a road trip and only able to read in small chunks every day, I'd have probably finished Just One Lie in a day! That's how good it is. I'm still ruminating about it and wish I had the time to read it all over again. Character growth - maturity-wise and emotional - is something I admire in a story and with Mercy and Brad I got it in spades. I did have my doubts at times. There were times I wanted to shake Mercy. But in the end, she didn't let me down.

I think this is the end for the series and I like where it ended so I'm happy. And I'm excited at the prospect of reading more from Davis!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??